Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Moving out

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options Available formats and options

Table of contents

This article covers how to give notice, legal ways to move out early, and what can happen if you do not follow the rules about moving out.


This article is about tenants' rights under the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA). The RTA applies to most rental housing in Ontario, such as rooms, apartments, houses, mobile home parks, and retirement homes.

But some rental housing is not covered by the RTA. For example, you might not be covered if you live in a place that is supposed to be used for business, share a kitchen or bathroom with the owner or a close family member of the owner, or live in some types of temporary or seasonal housing.

Also, the RTA does not cover some types of shared living. If you share rental housing or you rent from another tenant, CLEO's online tool at can help you find out if you are covered.

If your housing is not covered by the RTA, this article does not apply to you. If you are not sure, click here to find out where to get more information or legal help.

The following information is not about what to do if your landlord wants to evict you and you want to stay. For information about eviction and other topics, please see other titles in CLEO's Tenant Law series.