COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Separation and Divorce: Child Support

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

What about parents who get social assistance?

Parents have to report child support payments to Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or Ontario Works (OW). But, child support payments do not affect the amount of social assistance that a parent gets. So if they get child support, they get that money and their social assistance.

But this only applies to child support that is owed for periods of time on or after these dates:

  • January 1, 2017, for parents who get income support from the ODSP
  • February 1, 2017, for parents who get financial assistance from OW

This means a parent has to pay ODSP or OW back if:

  • they got child support that was owed for periods of time before the dates listed above, and
  • they got social assistance for the period of time that the child support payment is for.

They have to do this even if they got the support payment on or after the dates listed above.

For more information, see CLEO's publication, Child support when you are on OW or ODSP.

The Child Support Guidelines say that payor parents on social assistance with a yearly income of $12,000 or less do not have to make child support payments.