COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Social assistance rules about couples: What you need to know if you live with someone

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options Available formats and options

Table of contents

Is this resource for you?

Read this to learn about the rules that Ontario Works (OW) and the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) use to decide:

  • whether 2 adults who live together are spouses
  • when 2 people who live together must apply as a couple for social assistance

Other resources that may help you

CLEO has more resources on social assistance and other legal topics. You can read them on our website or order free copies.

If you speak French

Ask a lawyer or a community legal clinic about your language rights. You may have the right to get government services related to Ontario Works (OW) and the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) in French.

If you are appealing a decision about your right to social assistance from OW or ODSP, this could mean that you have the right to a hearing before a French‑speaking member of the Social Benefts Tribunal, as well as other French language services.

Si vous parlez français

Communiquez avec un avocat ou une clinique juridique communautaire, et informez‑vous de vos droits linguistiques. Vous pourriez avoir droit à ce que les services gouvernementaux reliés à Ontario au travail (OT) et au Programme ontarien de soutien aux personnes handicapées (POSPH) vous soient fournis en français.

Si vous avez fait appel d’une décision concernant votre droit à l’aide sociale d’OT ou du POSPH, vous pourriez avoir droit à une audience devant un membre du Tribunal de l’aide sociale qui parle français, de même qu’à d’autres services en français.