COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Social assistance rules about couples: What you need to know if you live with someone

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

What if my former spouse and I are separated but live at the same address?

OW or ODSP may see you as a couple even if you are separated.

You need to show them that you have separated. For example, you might have:

  • a separation agreement
  • a court order or papers showing that you are going to court
  • bank or other financial records showing that you keep your money separate

You need to explain why you live at the same address. For example, you might not be able to find another place to live where you can afford the rent.

It can be difficult to show that you are separated if you live at the same address. You should get legal advice if OW or ODSP thinks that you and your former spouse are a couple, even though you are separated. See How can I get legal help and information?