What is not allowed to be sold door-to-door?
Sellers are not allowed to sell the following things at your home unless you invited them there for that purpose:
- Air conditioners, cleaners, and purifiers
- Water heaters
- Water treatment devices
- Water softeners, purifiers, and filters
- Duct cleaning services
- Any product or service that does the job of any of the above.
Sellers are allowed to leave flyers or other advertising at your home. But they are not allowed to contact you or speak to you at your home about these products or services unless you invited them first.
If a seller broke these rules and you signed an agreement for any of these things on or after March 1, 2018, the contract is "void". This means you do not have to pay anything, even if you have already used the product or service. If you paid anything, you have one year to demand a refund from the seller.
If the seller did follow the rules to sell you something on the list, they must put a special cover page on the front of the contract. The cover page tells you some of your rights and asks you to confirm that you invited the seller to come to your home.
And there are different rules for what information must be in these contracts. For example, they must include:
- a guarantee that the item will work for the whole term of the contract
- a statement if the item is new, used, or reconditioned
- details about any other contracts between the seller and you for anything on the list