What types of EI benefits are there?
There are several kinds of Employment Insurance (EI) benefits:
- regular benefits for people who are looking for work
- re-employment benefits to help unemployed people return to work
- sickness benefits for people who are off work because of illness or accident
- compassionate care benefits or benefits for parents of critically ill children for people who must be off work to care for a gravely ill family member or close friend
- maternity and parental benefits for people who are pregnant or have a new baby or adopted a child
- fishing benefits for self-employed fishers
This resource covers regular EI benefits. It also has a short section about re-employment benefits, see What if I take a job, and then lose it or quit?