COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Employment Insurance

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

Can EI refuse to pay me for other reasons?

Yes. In some situations, EI staff can decide not to give you benefits for other reasons. This is called being "disentitled" to benefits. For example, this could happen if:

  • you are not available for work,
  • you do not give EI staff information they ask for, or
  • you are not working because of a strike or lockout.

You can get your benefits started again by proving that the reason you were disentitled has stopped.

Note: You have 30 days to ask EI staff to reconsider any decision to disqualify you or disentitle you. You can also give them new information and ask them to change their decision. For information about asking for a reconsideration see, How do I ask for a reconsideration?