How do I apply for EI?

You need to fill out an application online. You can also apply at a Service Canada Centre.

To find the form, go to privacy-notice.

If are not able to apply online or have trouble with the online form, contact Service Canada for help at 1-800-622-6232. For TTY, call 1-800-926-9105.

When you apply, you need the following information for all of your jobs in the last 52 weeks:

  • names and addresses of your employers
  • dates you worked for them
  • detailed reasons for why you left

You also need:

  • your Social Insurance Number and another piece of identification with your photo if possible,

  • your banking information so your EI cheque can go into your bank account,
  • your mailing address, and
  • the dates and what you were paid for each of your highest-paid weeks in your qualifying period. See more in How much will I get from EI?

The full list of what you need is on the online application form.

Do I need my Record of Employment?

It is easier to apply for EI if you have your Record of Employment (ROE). You will need an ROE for every employer you worked for in the past 12 months.

If your employer sends your ROE to the government online:

  • they do not have to give you a copy, and
  • you do not need a copy to apply for EI.

But you can get a copy from Service Canada if you want one.

You need a My Service Canada account to see your ROE online. Access your account or set one up at

It is easier to apply for EI with your ROE. But you should apply for EI right away, even if you do not have your ROE yet. You will need proof of your employment, such as pay stubs and T4 slips.

If you do not apply within 4 weeks after your employment ends, you will probably get fewer EI payments.

If you are having problems getting your ROE, call the Employment Insurance Telephone Information Service at 1-800-206-7218. For TTY, call 1-800-529-3742.

CLEO has a tool that creates a letter you can send to your employer asking for your ROE. Go to asking-for-roe.

Previous page Next page