How do I apply for EI?
You can fill out an application online at www.servicecanada.ca or at a Service Canada Centre. To find the Service Canada Centre where you live, call 1-800-622-6232 or visit the website listed above. You can also ask Service Canada to mail you a paper application form if you need one.
Before you go to the Service Canada Centre in your area, you should call to find out if you need to make an appointment. You might be asked for your postal code to find out which location you should go to. When you go, you should bring:
- your Social Insurance card and another piece of identification, with your photo if possible,
- your complete banking information to sign up for direct deposit,
- the names, addresses, dates of employment, and reason for leaving for all your employers in the last 52 weeks,
- your detailed version of the facts, if you quit or were fired from any job, and
- the dates and what you were paid for each of your highest-paid weeks in your qualifying period. See "How much will I get?" for more information.
You might need other information to apply. For a full list, visit the Service Canada website.
If you do not speak English or French, bring someone who can translate for you.