What happens if I give information that is not true?

If you know that information is false or misleading, it is against the law to give that information to Service Canada. Some examples are:

  • not telling Service Canada about all of your earnings
  • lying about being available for work
  • changing information on your Record of Employment

Penalties for giving false or misleading information can be very serious. Here are some of the penalties you could get:

  • You must pay back all of the EI money that you should not have received.
  • For every false statement that Service Canada thinks you made, you might also have to pay as much as 3 times what you get each week from EI.
  • You can be charged with committing a crime.

Service Canada can also give you a “violation”. Violations stay on your EI record for 5 years. While a violation is on your record, you have to work hundreds of extra hours before you can qualify for EI benefits.

If you get a penalty or violation, you have the right to ask Service Canada to reconsider. This means that you ask them to review and change the decision.

You must do this in writing within 30 days of being told about the decision.

Previous page Next page