COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Employment Insurance

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

What happens if I receive more money from EI than I should?

Receiving money you were not supposed to get is called an "overpayment". In almost all cases, you will have to pay it back. If you cannot pay back the full amount right away, contact EI staff and ask to pay it over a period of time.

If you receive EI money you know you are not entitled to, it is illegal to cash or deposit the cheque or to use the money. You must return the cheque, or return the money if the government deposited it directly into your bank account. If you do not, there could be serious legal consequences.