COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Employment Insurance

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

What if I take a job, and then lose it or quit?

If you take a job while you are receiving EI and then quit without "just cause", your benefits will be cut off, even if the job was only part-time. Just cause means you had to quit because you had no other reasonable choice. For more information about just cause, see What if I had just cause for quitting?

For this reason, it can be a mistake to accept work that is unsuitable or that you cannot handle. But if you refuse work that EI staff consider suitable, you will be disqualified for 7 to 12 weeks. So it can be hard to know what is the best thing to do. Try to get help and advice before you decide. See, Where can I get help?

Your EI will also be cut off if you take a job while you are getting benefits and then get fired for misconduct. But if your employer fires you because the job is not suitable for you or because you were not able to do the job, your benefits should not be affected. For more information about misconduct see, Can I get EI if I was fired?

If you are cut off or disqualified for any of these reasons, you have the right to ask EI to reconsider the decision. You must do this in writing within 30 days. For more information see, How do I ask for a reconsideration?

Re-employment benefits

Re-employment benefits, also called "employment benefits" or "reach-back benefits", are a type of assistance for people who want to re-enter the workforce. These benefits may be available to:

  • people receiving EI
  • people who received EI in the last 3 years
  • people who received pregnancy or parental benefits in the last 5 years and have stopped working since then because they were caring for the child

You do not receive these benefits automatically. You must develop an "action plan" showing how you intend to get work. This plan must be approved by the Service Canada Centre, and you must negotiate how much money you will receive. Benefits might cover an allowance, tuition costs, and travel expenses.