Every Resident - Bill of Rights for people who live in Ontario long-term care homes
6. Citizens' rights
"Every resident has the right to exercise the rights of a citizen."
In other words...
You keep all your rights as a citizen. These include:
- your democratic rights, including the right to vote,
- your equality rights, including the right to be protected against discrimination,
- the right to practise your religion,
- the right to express yourself,
- the right to meet with anyone you wish, or to join any organization or group, and
- the right not to have your possessions looked through or taken without your permission, except as allowed by law.
As a citizen, you also have responsibilities. For example, you are expected to:
- respect other people's rights and freedoms, and
- obey Canada's laws.