How to make a complaint

You can take any of these steps if you think your rights are not being followed:

  1. Make a complaint to the long-term care home.
  2. Make a complaint to the Ministry of Long-Term Care.
  3. Sue the long-term care home.
  4. Look at other options.

No matter which option you choose, make sure to find out if there are time limits.

You also need to find out if choosing one option will affect what else you can do.

If a resident in a long-term care home is being hurt or threatened, call 911. Police can investigate any crimes that take place in long-term care homes.

If it is not an emergency but you think a crime has been committed, call your local police station.

You can also report a crime to Crime Stoppers without giving your name. Call 1-800-222-8477 or visit

Previous page Next page