Enforcing an eviction order

If the eviction order is not stopped, the Sheriff is the official who is in charge of enforcing or carrying out the order.

If you have not moved out by the date the eviction order says you must move, the Sheriff can make you leave and can let your landlord change the locks. The law does not let your landlord, a private bailiff, or a security guard physically evict you or lock you out — only the Sheriff can do this. The police cannot evict you either. But the Sheriff can ask the police for help if the Sheriff thinks there might be violence.

Previous page Next page