COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Patients' Rights: Form 1 - Are you in hospital for a psychiatric assessment?

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

What can I do to get out of the hospital?

The Form 1 lets the doctor keep you in the hospital for no more than 72 hours.

When you are on a Form 1, you have the right to speak to a lawyer.

If you want to leave, you can ask the doctor to let you go. Or you can get someone else to ask for you. This could be a friend, family member patient advocate, or lawyer.

But if the doctor does not agree to let you leave, there is usually no way to appeal this.

You can appeal if a doctor uses a Form 3 to keep you in the hospital longer. If this happens, ask to speak to the Rights Adviser or Patient Advocate at the hospital or call a lawyer. Click here for more information to help you do this.