COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Are you Aboriginal? Do you have a bail hearing? Or are you going to be sentenced for a crime?

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

How to get legal help

Aboriginal Courtworker Programs help Aboriginal people who are in conflict with the law, whether they are living on or off reserve, including First Nations, status and non-status Indians, Métis with or without a Métis card, and Inuit. These programs help Aboriginal people who are accused of committing crimes to better understand their rights, options, and responsibilities at criminal courts.

Many of these programs take place at Friendship Centres. For more information contact your local Friendship Centre. Friendship Centres across Ontario are listed on the web site of the Ontario Federation of Indian Friendship Centres (OFIFC) at

If you or your lawyer want more information about Gladue, go to the web site of Aboriginal Legal Services of Toronto (ALST) and look at the Gladue page. ALST has Aboriginal courtworkers at all the Toronto area criminal courts. ALST also has Gladue caseworkers who write reports in several places in Ontario.

Aboriginal Legal Services of Toronto (ALST)

211 Yonge Street, Suite 500, Toronto ON M5B 1M4

Telephone: 416-408-3967 or 416-408-4041


Members of the Nishnawbe Aski Nation (NAN) can get help from:

Nishnawbe-Aski Legal Services Corporation (NALSC)

86 S. Cumberland Street, Thunder Bay ON P7B 2V3

Toll-free: 1-800-465-5581

Telephone: 807-622-1413


Legal Aid is available to low income individuals and disadvantaged communities for a variety of legal problems. To contact Legal Aid Ontario, visit their web site at or call them:

Toll-free: 1-800-668-8258

Toll-free TTY: 1-866-641-8867

In Toronto: 416-979-1446

TTY in Toronto: 416-598-8867