COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Do you know a woman who is being abused? A legal rights handbook

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

Can I take money with me?

Before or as soon as you leave your partner, you should transfer money from any joint bank accounts to a new account that is in your name only. You should be entitled to at least half of the money in a joint account. A family lawyer can tell you how much you can withdraw. You should also take any money you have at home when you leave.

Get all your regular payments like work pay, social assistance, or government child care benefits deposited to this new account. You should keep bank records for all of your accounts.

If you have a joint safety deposit box, remove all documents, valuables, or bonds that belong to you. If you have any income that is mailed to you at home, arrange to pick up the cheques yourself. Or, have them sent to a relative or friend where they will be safe.