COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Do you know a woman who is being abused? A legal rights handbook

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

What about financial support from my partner?

Even if you have some income of your own, it might be difficult financially when you separate from your partner. You might need spousal support. Talk to a lawyer to see if your partner has a legal obligation to support you.

For more information, see the CLEO resource Separation and Divorce: Spousal Support.

Even if you get spousal support, the judge usually expects both partners to be able to eventually take care of themselves financially. Your partner might have to pay support while you take a course or attend training.

If you do not have current job skills, there might be government programs available to train you. Sometimes you can get government assistance while you learn. For more information, you can contact a women's centre, Service Canada Centre, or see or