COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Harassment and discrimination

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options Available formats and options

Table of contents

Tenants have a legal right to privacy and the right to live free from harassment and discrimination by their landlord or by other tenants.

If you speak French

You have the right to get services in French from the Landlord and Tenant Board and the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario. This includes the right to a hearing before a French‑speaking Board or Tribunal member or having an interpreter arranged and paid for by the Board or Tribunal. You may also have the right to services in French from some of the other offices mentioned in this booklet.

Si vous parlez français

Vous avez droit à ce que les services de la Commission de la location immobilière ou du Tribunal des droits de la personne de l’Ontario vous soient fournis en français. En vertu de ce droit, entre autres : votre audience peut être tenue devant un membre de la Commission ou du Tribunal qui parle français ou vous avez accès à un interprète dont les services sont fournis et payés par la Commission ou par le Tribunal. Vous pourriez également avoir droit à des services en français de la part d’autres organismes mentionnés dans la présente brochure.

Does this booklet apply to you?

This booklet includes information about tenants’ rights under the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. These laws apply to most rental housing in Ontario, such as rooms, apartments, houses, mobile home parks, and retirement homes.

There are types of rental housing that are not covered by the RTA. For example, you might not be covered if you live in a place that is supposed to be used for business, share a kitchen or bathroom with the owner or a close family member of the owner, or live in some types of temporary or seasonal housing.

Also, the RTA does not cover some types of shared living. If you share rental housing or you rent from another tenant, CLEO’s online tool at can help you find out if you are covered.

If your housing is not covered by the RTA, much of the information in this booklet does not apply to you. If you are not sure, see this section to find out where to get legal advice.

The information about discrimination in this booklet may still apply to you, even if the RTA does not.