COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Home Care Bill of Rights

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

3. Consider other options

Depending on the kind of problem you have, you may be able to take your complaint to other places.


If a crime was committed against you, you may want to report it to the police.

Professional colleges

You may be unhappy about home care services from a social worker or health care practitioner, such as a nurse, occupational therapist, or physiotherapist. If so, you can make a complaint to the "college" or organization that regulates that person's profession.

The organization that regulates social workers is called the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers. For more information, go to their website at or phone:

Toll-free: 1-877-828-9380

Toronto area: 416-972-9882

To find contact information for the colleges that govern health care professions in Ontario go to and then click on "Useful links" at the top. Or you can call ServiceOntario at the numbers below. To speak to someone, press 0 or stay on the line.

Toll-free: 1-866-532-3161

Toll-free TTY: 1-800-387-5559

Toronto area: 416-327-4327

Human Rights

If you have experienced discrimination, you can take your complaint to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario (HRTO). This is called making an application to the HRTO. Examples of discrimination include being treated unfairly because of your religious beliefs, race, age, disability, sexual orientation, or ethnic background.

For more information about making an application to the HRTO, visit their website at or call them:

Toll-free: 1-866-598-0322

Toll-free TTY: 1-866-607-1240

Toronto area: 416-326-1312

TTY, Toronto area: 416-326-2027

If you would like more information about the law against discrimination, or if you need help or advice about making an application to the HRTO, visit the website of the Human Rights Legal Support Centre at or call them:

Toll-free: 1-866-625-5179

Toll-free TTY: 1-866-612-8627

Toronto area: 416-597-4900

TTY, Toronto area: 416-597-4903

Information and Privacy Commissioner

You can make a complaint to the Information and Privacy Commissioner (IPC) if you are unhappy with a CCAC or agency decision about:

  • keeping your records private
  • giving you access to or copies of your records
  • correcting wrong or missing information in your records

For more information, check the IPC's website at or phone

Toll-free: 1-800-387-0073

Toronto area: 416-326-3333

TTY: 416-325-7539