COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Home care complaints and appeals

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

Step 2: Follow the CCAC's complaint process

Each CCAC may have a different complaint process. Follow your CCAC's process carefully. If you do not, later on you might not be allowed to appeal their decision.

It is best to make your complaint to the CCAC in writing, so that you have a record of your concerns and of the date you made the complaint.

There may be time limits to meet. It is very important that you meet these deadlines.

It is often important to give information about your health to explain why you need the services you are asking for.

To help you make your complaint, you may want to get a copy of the records that the CCAC keeps about you. The law says you have a right to a copy, but you may have to pay the CCAC for it. If the CCAC refuses to give you a copy, or you think they are charging too much for it, try to get legal advice. Click here to find out how to get legal help.

What happens during a complaint process?

Each CCAC may have a slightly different complaint process but typically the process has the following steps:

  • Your case manager reconsiders their decision.
  • If this does not resolve your complaint, a different case manager reviews the decision.
  • If your complaint is still not resolved, it goes to a group of people in the CCAC whose job it is to review complaints.

Some CCACs may leave it up to you to take your complaint from one step to the next. Others may do it for you, once you have started the process.

How long will it take for the CCAC to give me a decision?

The law says that the CCAC must make a decision and give it to you in writing within 60 days from the date that you made your complaint.

What kind of decision can the CCAC make?

The CCAC might stay with their original decision, cancel it, or make a different decision.