COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Home care complaints and appeals

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

What can I do about poor quality of service or violations of the home care Bill of Rights?

The law says that you have the right to make a complaint about poor quality of service or violations of the home care Bill of Rights. For example, you might make a complaint if the worker:

  • gives you less time than you are supposed to get,
  • does not give you proper care, or
  • does not respect your dignity and privacy.

To make a complaint, you can do one or more of the following:

  • Complain to the agency that employs the worker.
    The law says that the agency must tell you, in writing, how to make a complaint to them.
  • Complain to the CCAC.
    (Click here to see Step 1 and step 2.)
    The CCAC must tell you how to make this kind of complaint to them. It is important to tell the CCAC if you are having problems with workers from an agency. If there are many complaints about an agency, the CCAC may decide not to use that agency.
  • Call the Long-Term Care Action Line.
    The toll-free number is 1-866-434-0144. TTY users call 1-800-387-5559.

You cannot appeal a decision about these kinds of complaints to the HSARB.

The CLEO resource called Home Care Bill of Rights contains more detailed information about what to do if these rights were not respected. Click here to find out how to order the article.