How can I protect myself from identity theft?
Make sure that your personal information is as safe as possible.Here are some suggestions:
- Shred all documents that contain personal information.
- Remove mail from your mailbox as soon as possible. Keep mail in a safe place in your home.
- Do not give personal information over the phone or through the mail to anyone you are not sure about.
- Do not carry your birth certificate or passport with you unless you need it that day.
- Check your bank and credit card statements regularly.
- Check your credit report regularly.
To keep your financial information safe:
- Never lend anyone your credit card or debit card.
- Do not give anyone your PIN number.
- When using your credit or debit card in a store, bank machine, or ATM, make sure no one sees your PIN number.
- Your credit card or debit card should be swiped only once at a checkout. If an employee swipes your card more than
- Never share personal information on social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
Other safety tips include:
- Do not reply to unusual or suspicious emails.
- Always use updated virus and antispam protection programs on your computer.
- Use secure websites when shopping online, or entering personal information on a website. Look for a lock symbol, and "https://" at the start of the site's website address.