What can I do if I am a victim of identity theft?

Report the identity theft to the police.

Get a copy of the police report so that you can share it with your financial institutions, credit card issuers, the credit reporting agencies, and any other companies.

Tell the financial institutions, credit card issuers, or companies that are involved.

You may need to change your account numbers, your PINs, and get new debit and credit cards.

Report the identity theft to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC).

They provide advice and assistance to victims. Call 1-888-495-8501 or visit

Cancel any missing or stolen identification documents.

Immediately cancel government-issued documents like your driver’s licence, passport, birth certificate, or health card and get new ones as soon as possible.

Contact Service Ontario toll-free at 1-800-267-8097.

Contact Equifax and TransUnion.

They are the two main credit reporting agencies in Canada. Ask both agencies for a copy of your credit reports. They must send you a free copy of your report in the mail if you ask them to. Review your credit reports and let them know if you want to dispute a debt. Ask if a “fraud alert” should be placed in your file.

Contact Equifax at 1-800-465-7166 or Contact TransUnion at 1-800-663-9980 or

You may need legal help for some situations.

Call Pro Bono Ontario’s help line at 1-855-255-7256.

Some community legal clinics can help. Visit or call 1-800-668-8258 or TTY 711.

For the Law Society Referral Service, visit

Previous page