Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Hiring a lawyer to help with a refugee claim

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

Community legal clinics

You may be able to get free legal help from a community legal clinic. You do not need a legal aid certificate to go to a community legal clinic.

Community legal clinics get money from Legal Aid Ontario to provide legal services to people with low incomes. Community legal workers and lawyers work at clinics.

You can call the legal clinic in your area to find out if they represent refugee claimants. Clinic staff will tell you if they are able to help you with your refugee claim or if they can refer you to a refugee lawyer.

To find the nearest community legal clinic visit the LAO website at Click on "Contact LAO" then "Community legal clinics". Or you can call one of the phone numbers listed below:

Toll-free 1-800-668-8258

Toronto area 416-979-1446

Toll-free TTY 1-866-641-8867

Toronto area TTY 416-598-8867

You can also look in the CLEO directory called Getting legal help: A directory of community legal clinics in Ontario. Click here to order a copy.