What benefits can I get from the Board?

Depending on your situation, you may be able to get workers’ compensation benefits for things such as:

  • some of your lost wages,
  • health care costs,
  • transportation costs to go to your doctor or to therapy,
  • a permanent disability,
  • lost retirement income,
  • a work transition assessment and plan (these are supposed to help you get work if you cannot return to a job with your employer),
  • an independent living allowance (for a severe permanent disability), and
  • an allowance for clothing damaged by braces and wheelchairs.

Even if you continued to work at your regular job with no lost wages, it is important to make a claim because you might be entitled to benefits to cover your medical expenses, or because your injury could get worse.

Health care costs include doctor’s bills, other bills for medical treatments, the cost of prescription drugs, the cost of artificial aids like hearing aids or braces, the cost of replacing clothing damaged by a brace or wheelchair, and in some cases the travel costs for going to and from medical treatments.

You may have to pay these expenses first and then ask the Board for your money back. Be sure to get receipts for everything. Keep a record of the dates of your medical appointments, and if you use your car to go to your medical appointments, keep a record of how many kilometres you drive there and back.

Send your receipts and records to the Board, and be sure to keep copies in case anything you send is lost.

Previous page Next page