Mental Illness, Criminal Offences, & Deportation
Getting a psychiatric assessment and developing a treatment plan
A client who is appealing a deportation order must persuade the Immigration Appeal Division that they should be allowed to remain in Canada. An expert opinion about their mental illness and a comprehensive treatment plan can be crucial to a successful appeal.
With your client's consent, you can help their lawyer develop a treatment plan and collect medical evidence. You can:
- act as a liaison between the lawyer and mental health professionals,
- request medical reports from mental health professionals,
- help coordinate the development and implementation of a treatment plan,
- suggest and facilitate referrals to programs that meet your client's needs, and
- suggest realistic and appropriate terms and conditions for a stay of removal.