The rules about moving out
To protect yourself from owing money to your landlord after you move out, you must do one of the following:
- give your landlord proper notice,
- make an agreement with your landlord so you can move out early,
- get your landlord to agree to let you assign or sublet your place,
- give notice if your landlord refuses to let you assign, or
- get the Landlord and Tenant Board to let you move out early.
This resource describes each of these points.
This resource also tells you what can happen if you do not follow the rules about moving out. And it explains what can happen to your belongings if you leave them behind when you move.