COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Payday loans

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

What can I do if I have a problem with a payday lender?

If you think a payday lender has not followed all the rules and has violated your rights, you can file a complaint with the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services. Lenders who do not follow the rules can get a warning, a fine, or even lose their license.

You can also ask the Ministry to investigate and to prosecute the lender under the Payday Loans Act. If the lender is convicted, they may be ordered to repay some of your money to you. They may also have to pay a fine, or even be sent to jail.

To contact the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services:

Toll-free: 1-800-889-9768

Toronto area: 416-326-8800

TTY Toll-free: 1-877-666-6545

TTY Toronto area: 416-229-6086

Fax: 416-326-8665



Mailing Address:

Ministry of Government and Consumer Services
Consumer Services Operations Division
77 Wellesley Street West, P.O. Box 450
Toronto, ON M7A 2J6