Police Powers: Stops and Searches

If you speak French

In many cases you have the right to government services and legal proceedings in French, including hearings before French-speaking decision-makers.

If you have a legal problem, you can ask a lawyer or a community legal clinic about your French language rights.

Si vous parlez français

Il existe de nombreuses situations où vous avez droit à la prestation de services gouvernementaux en français et à la tenue d’une instance judiciaire ou quasi judiciaire en français. Ainsi, vous pouvez avoir droit à ce qu’une audience à laquelle vous êtes partie soit tenue devant un décideur qui parle français.

Si vous avez un problème juridique, sachez que vous détenez des droits linguistiques en tant que francophone. Un avocat ou un intervenant d’une clinique juridique communautaire pourra vous renseigner à cet égard.

People who are not Canadian citizens can be arrested and detained by the police and also by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) for reasons set out in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. CBSA has the power to enforce immigration law. To arrest and detain a permanent resident in Canada, CBSA must have a warrant.

For information or advice about arrest and detention for immigration reasons, speak to an immigration lawyer. See How do I get legal help? for information about getting legal help.

In most cases, if you are stopped and questioned by the police, you do not have to answer their questions, but it is a good idea to be polite.

There is no general requirement to carry identification papers. However, in some cases you may be required to have specific documents. For example, you must have a valid driver’s licence with you when you are driving.

Next page