COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Taking time off work: For new and expecting parents

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

What if I did not get all the EI benefits I should have received?

Most decisions about your Employment Insurance claim can be appealed. The first step is to ask for a “reconsideration” of the decision. You can ask for reconsideration in any of these situations:

  • you have been refused benefits or you think the amount is too low
  • you have been told you must repay some benefits you received
  • you have been given a penalty
  • you have received a warning letter

You must ask for the reconsideration in writing and you must make sure Service Canada receives it within 30 days of when you received the decision. If you miss this deadline, you can ask for an extension, but you must give a good reason why you were late.

To download a reconsideration form, go to and type ins5210 in the “Search for Forms” box. Or call Service Canada at 1-800-206-7218 and ask them to send you a “Request for Reconsideration of an Employment Insurance decision” form.