COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Separation and Divorce or Death of a Spouse: Property Division

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

Finding a lawyer

A lawyer can help you understand what your rights to property are when you separate or divorce your spouse, or when your spouse dies.

Law Society of Ontario

The Law Society of Ontario (LSO) has a directory of all lawyers who can practise law in Ontario. Make sure the lawyer you hire has experience with family law. The Law Society also has a Directory of Certified Specialists who focus on family law.

Visit the Law Society website at and scroll down to "Find a Lawyer or Paralegal", or call them at:

Toll-free: 1-800-668-7380

Toronto area: 416-947-3300

The Law Society Referral Service is an online service that gives you the name of a lawyer in your area who can give you a free consultation for up to 30 minutes. You can ask for a lawyer who speaks your language,or a lawyer who accepts Legal Aid certificates. For more information on Legal Aid certificates, see What if I cannot afford a lawyer?

You can also call them on their crisis line if you cannot use the online service, for example, if you are in custody, in a shelter, or in a remote community without access to the internet. This line is available from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Visit or call:

Toll-free Crisis Line: 1-855-947-5255

Toronto area Crisis Line: 416-947-5255

Legal Aid Ontario

Legal Aid Ontario also offers a searchable directory of lawyers. You can search for family law lawyers by location and language. Go to and click on "Finding a lawyer".