COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Rent increases

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

Does this resource apply to you?

This resource is about tenants' rights under the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA). The RTA applies to most rental housing in Ontario, such as rooms, apartments, houses, mobile home parks, and retirement homes.

The rules in the RTA about rent do not apply to most rent‑geared‑to‑income (RGI) housing. Many of the rules do not apply to other kinds of non-profit or subsidized housing. And some rules do not apply to some new rental units. See Guideline increases.

There are types of rental housing that are not covered at all by the RTA. For example, you might not be covered if you live in a place that is supposed to be used for business, share a kitchen or bathroom with the owner or a close family member of the owner, or live in some types of temporary or seasonal housing.

Also, the RTA does not cover some types of shared living. If you share rental housing or you rent from another tenant, CLEO's online tool at can help you find out if you are covered.

If your housing is not covered by the RTA or the RTA rent rules, the information in this resource does not apply to you. If you are not sure, see Where to get help.