COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Rent increases

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

If you paid an illegal rent increase or extra charge

If your landlord charges you an illegal rent, deposit, or other charge, you can do one or both of the following:

  • apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board to get your money back
  • contact the provincial government's Rental Housing Enforcement Unit (RHEU)

These are separate processes. The Board and the RHEU do not tell each other about the reports tenants make to them.

Applying to the Board

If your landlord breaks any of the rules about rent increases, deposits, or extra charges, you can apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board. There is contact information for the Board in section Where to get help. The Board can order your landlord to pay back any amounts your landlord was not allowed to charge you. Usually the Board will only go back one year, so do not wait too long to apply.

If your landlord increased your rent illegally, you can also ask the Board to correct the rent. But you must do this within one year of the date that your landlord first charged the illegal rent. An illegal rent becomes legal unless a tenant applies to challenge it within one year.

There is a $50 fee to make an application to the Board. You might get this money back if you win your case. If you have a low income you can ask the Board not to charge you the fee. To do this, you will need to fill out a Fee Waiver Request form. You can ask the Board to send you this form, or download it from the Board's website.

Contacting the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit (RHEU)

The provincial government has an office called the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit (RHEU). The RHEU's job is to encourage landlords and tenants to obey the rental housing laws.

Sometimes the RHEU can get your landlord to follow the rules by explaining the law to your landlord. They can also lay charges against landlords who will not follow the rules. Landlords who are found guilty of charging illegal rent may have to pay a fine to the government. If the landlord is a corporation, the fine can be up to $100,000. Otherwise, the fine can be up to $25,000.

If you think your landlord might be doing something illegal, you can call the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit at 1‑888‑772‑9277 or 416‑585‑7214. Their website address is