COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Rent increases

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

Other deposits and charges

Your landlord can make you pay to replace your lost keys or access card, or to give you extra ones. Your landlord can also charge you a fee if you write a cheque but do not have enough money in your bank account to cover it. This is often called an NSF or bounced cheque.

Most other deposits and extra charges are illegal. If your landlord wants you to pay for something else, try to get legal advice.