COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Child and spousal support when you are on social assistance

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

What will OW or ODSP expect me to do to get spousal support?

OW or ODSP may ask you to:

  • make a support agreement with your spouse that follows the guidelines that the courts use to decide on spousal support
  • apply to get a court order for spousal support
  • go back to court and ask the court to order your spouse to pay more support
  • enforce a spousal support agreement or court order that you already have

Talk to a lawyer first

An agreement or a court order can also deal with custody, access, and property. So it is best to talk to a lawyer before making an agreement or applying for an order.

You may be able to get free legal advice about family law through Legal Aid Ontario. See How can I get legal help?