COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

What tenants need to know about the law

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options Available formats and options

Table of contents

If you speak French

You have the right to get services in French from the Landlord and Tenant Board. This includes the right to a hearing before a French‑speaking Board member or having an interpreter arranged and paid for by the Board. You may also have the right to services in French from some of the other offices mentioned in this booklet.

Si vous parlez français

Vous avez droit à ce que les services de la Commission de la location immobilière vous soient fournis en français. En vertu de ce droit, entre autres : votre audience peut être tenue devant un membre de la Commission qui parle français ou vous avez accès aux services d'un interprète fourni et payé par la Commission. Vous pourriez également avoir droit à des services en français de la part d'autres organismes mentionnés dans la présente brochure.

Does this resource apply to you?

This resource is about tenants' rights under the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA). The RTA applies to most rental housing in Ontario, such as rooms, apartments, houses, mobile home parks, and retirement homes.

But some rental housing is not covered by the RTA. For example, you might not be covered if you live in a place that is supposed to be used for business, share a kitchen or bathroom with the owner or a close family member of the owner, or live in some types of temporary or seasonal housing.

Also, the RTA does not cover some types of shared living. If you share rental housing or you rent from another tenant, CLEO's online tool at can help you find out if you are covered.

If your housing is not covered by the RTA, the information in this booklet does not apply to you. If you are not sure, find out where to get legal advice starting in Where to get more information and help.