COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Unfair practices: When sellers break the rules

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

For more help

You may need legal help for some situations. Here are some places to try.

Community legal clinics

Some community legal clinics or law school legal clinics can help you with consumer law problems. You must be financially eligible to receive these services. If your clinic cannot help, they might be able to refer you to other services in your community.

To find the legal clinic that serves your area, visit the Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) website at or call Legal Aid Ontario at:

Toll-free 1-800-668-8258

Toronto area 416-979-1446

Toll-free TTY 1-866-641-8867

Toronto area TTY 416-598-8867


Law Society Referral Service

The Law Society of Upper Canada has a directory of all lawyers and paralegals licensed in Ontario. The Law Society Referral Service can give you the name of a lawyer or paralegal in your area who can give you a free consultation for up to 30 minutes.

Visit the Law Society website at and click on "Find a Lawyer or Paralegal", or call them at:

Toll-free 1-800-268-8326

Toronto area 416-947-3330



JusticeNet is a nonprofit service that helps people who do not qualify for legal aid to find legal help. JusticeNet has a directory of lawyers, paralegals, and mediators who provide help at reduced rates to financially eligible people. Visit their website at or contact them at:

Toll-free 1-866-919-3219

Toronto area 416-479-0552



Law Help Ontario

If you are suing or being sued in court, you may be able to get help from Law Help Ontario. This free program offers information about court rules and help completing court forms. If you qualify, you may also be able to get brief legal advice or, if your case is in Toronto or Ottawa, a lawyer to represent you in court. For more information call 1-855-255-7256, extension 231 or visit their website at