COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Unfair practices: When sellers break the rules

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

What if the seller does not refund my money?

If the seller does not return your money, or if you have other problems with the seller, you can file a complaint with the Ministry of Consumer Services. There is a complaint form on the Ministry website.

The Ministry can look into complaints and can order the seller to follow the rules. The Ministry can also take the seller to court for violating the Consumer Protection Act. If the seller is found guilty, they can get a warning, a fine, or even be sent to jail, and they may be ordered to pay some money to you.

To contact the Ministry of Consumer Services:

Toll-free 1-800-889-9768

Toronto area 416-326-8800

TTY Toll-free 1-877-666-6545

TTY Toronto area 416-229-6086

Fax 416-326-8665



Mailing Address:

Ministry of Consumer Services
Consumer Protection Branch
Box 450,
1201 Wilson Avenue, Building A
North York, ON M3M 1J8

If the Ministry of Consumer Services does not solve your problem, you might want to consider suing in court. If the amount you are asking for is $25,000 or less, you can file a claim in Small Claims Court. You must do this within 2 years of when you first knew about the problem.

For more information about Small Claims Court, visit the Ministry of the Attorney General’s website at or call them at:

Toll-free 1-800-518-7901

Toronto area 416-326-2220

TTY Toll-free 1-877-425-0575

TTY Toronto area 416-326-4012