Buying or leasing a used vehicle

If you speak French

In many cases, you have the right to government services and legal proceedings in French, including hearings before French-speaking decision makers. If you have a legal problem, you can ask a lawyer or a community legal clinic about your French language rights.

Si vous parlez français

Il existe de nombreuses situations où vous avez droit à des services gouvernementaux et à des procédures juridiques en français. Ainsi, vous pouvez avoir droit à ce qu’une audience à laquelle vous êtes partie soit tenue devant un décideur qui parle français. Si vous avez un problème juridique, vous pouvez demander à un avocat ou à un intervenant d’une clinique juridique communautaire de vous informer des droits linguistiques liés au fait de parler français.

If you buy or lease a new or used motor vehicle from a dealer, you have rights under the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act. In this law, “motor vehicle” includes cars, trucks, and motorcycles but does not include snowmobiles, farm machinery, or construction machinery.

Anyone who sells or leases motor vehicles as a business must follow this law. They must also register with the Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC).

A registered dealer usually has a yellow-and-blue OMVIC sticker on their office door or window. You can also check online to make sure that the dealer is registered. There is more information about OMVIC in section, What if I have a problem with a dealer?

Private sellers are not covered under this law. You should be careful when buying from someone who is not a dealer because the law does not give you the same protections that you have when buying from a registered dealer.

Because new vehicles have manufacturers’ warranties, this booklet will focus on the protections and rights you have when buying or leasing a used vehicle.

Next page