Buying or leasing a used vehicle
Do I have to get it in writing?
Yes, all the required information must be in a written contract. This document is usually called a purchase agreement or lease.
The contract must also include:
- your name and address
- the dealer’s registered name, legal name, registration number, and business address
- the registered name and registration number of the salesperson you dealt with
- the date of the sale and the delivery date for the vehicle
- the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
- the vehicle’s colour and body type
The contract must be clear about the price of the vehicle. It must include:
- an itemized list of charges
- anything that the dealer is including at no extra charge, as well as its retail value
- the total price, any deposit or down payment that you made, and the balance due
- any other charges, such as taxes