COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Can your landlord take your stuff?

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

Where can I get help or more information?

For legal help or advice, you can contact a community legal clinic or a lawyer. To find the nearest community legal clinic, go to Legal Aid Ontario’s website at Click on Contact then Community Legal Clinics. Or call Legal Aid Ontario:

Toll-free 1-800-668-8258

Toll-free TTY 1-866-641-8867

Toronto area TTY 416-598-8867

You can also see CLEO's resource called Getting legal help: A Directory of Community Legal Clinics in Ontario.

CLEO’s Steps to Justice is a website that gives step‑ by‑step information about common legal problems, including housing law issues. Steps to Justice has practical tools like forms and checklists, and referral information for legal and social services. Visit and see the information about moving out in the “Housing Law” section.

For application forms and general information about landlord and tenant issues, you can contact the Landlord and Tenant Board. The Board cannot give you legal advice.

The Board's website address is You can call the Board at 1-888-332-3234 or 416-645-8080. For toll‑free TTY, call Bell Relay Service at 1‑866‑607‑1240.

The Rental Housing Enforcement Unit (RHEU) is a provincial government office set up to help make sure that landlords and tenants follow the Residential Tenancies Act. You can call the RHEU at 1-888-772-9277 or visit their website at