Has your child been charged with a crime?

On these pages, a child is someone who is under the age of 18.

A child who has been charged with a crime needs advice from a lawyer who is an expert in youth criminal law. If you cannot afford to pay for a lawyer for your child, Legal Aid Ontario may pay.

Your child should get a lawyer whether the child is guilty or not guilty. Your child should get a lawyer even if your child believes it is not serious. This is because what happens next can be serious.

The police have a duty to tell you if your child is arrested, charged with a crime, or must go to court. It is a good idea to be informed and involved with your child’s case. You should go to the police station and to court with your child, if possible. If you do not come to court, a judge might order you to come.

Next page