COVID-19: obtenez des renseignements sur le droit et les services juridiques sur JPP

Pour modifier la taille de la police:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Do you know a woman who is being abused? A legal rights handbook

Étape 1 : Sélectionner une langue Étape 2 : Sélectionner un mode de présentation
Support, format, type de publication

When will a Children's Aid Society be contacted?

The law says that anyone who thinks that a child is being harmed, or is at risk of being harmed, must report it to a Children's Aid Society (CAS). The CAS has a legal duty to investigate and, if needed, protect children from harm.

Harm can include physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, or neglect. It can also include the risk of a child witnessing domestic violence, even if the child is not being physically harmed.

A teacher, doctor, counsellor, neighbour, or relative can call the CAS. For most professionals that work with children, it is an offence not to report. That means that when you speak with a professional or service provider, if they believe that your child is at risk of being harmed, they must report it to a CAS. For example, the police must report any concerns to a CAS.

However, lawyers do not have the same duty to report as other professionals.