Elder abuse: The hidden crime
What are the signs and symptoms of elder abuse?
Victims of elder abuse may show any of these signs:
- depression, fear, anxiety, anger, or passivity
- unexplained physical injuries
- not having enough food or water
- poor hygiene, rashes, or pressure sores
- unexplained missing money or personal items
- being away from their regular activities
- being too sedated by drugs
It is important not to assume right away that it is elder abuse. But these signs should be taken seriously. What sometimes seems like a person not taking care of themselves might turn out to be elder abuse.