COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Children's aid: Information for parents (Fact sheet)

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

Will I need to go to court?

The CAS must take the case to family court if they take your child away or if they are asking the court to order you to follow CAS advice. If they take a child away, the first day in court must be within 5 days from the day they took the child.

You may have to go to court many times. Get a lawyer right away to help you in court. The lawyer should have experience with CAS cases.

If the police charge you with a crime, you have a right to a trial in criminal court. This is separate from the case in family court, even though it may be about the same situation. Get a criminal lawyer right away.

In this resource we give only general information. You should get legal advice about your own situation.