COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Criminal charges in Canada and your immigration status (Fact sheet)

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

What should I do if I am charged with a crime?

You need legal advice about both criminal and immigration law before you take any steps in the case. If you cannot afford to pay, you may be able to get legal help through Legal Aid Ontario.

Get a lawyer as soon as possible. Tell your lawyer that you are concerned about what the court's decision will do to your status in Canada.