COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Criminal charges in Canada and your immigration status (Fact sheet)

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

What can I do to protect my status and stay in Canada?

Get legal advice right away. If there is a removal order against you, you may be able to appeal to the Immigration and Refugee Board. But there are time limits, so you should act quickly.

If the criminal court decides that you are guilty, you may also have the right to appeal. But again there are time limits, so get legal advice right away.

You could apply to the Parole Board of Canada for a pardon (now called a "record suspension") if you have completed the punishment the court gave you. There is a waiting period before you can apply.

If you get the pardon, immigration authorities should treat you as if you were not guilty of the crime.

On these pages, we give only general information. You should get legal advice about your own situation.