Elder abuse: The hidden crime
What do victims of elder abuse need?
Reporting is no guarantee that the abuse will stop, or that the problems that led to the abuse will be solved.
There are many different kinds of elder abuse and many different ways to help. Elder abuse victims need:
- the abuser to stop being violent, taking advantage of them, or neglecting them
- safety, shelter, and access to financial resources
- home support services or housing options, so they are not dependent on the abuser
- emotional support, counselling, and greater links to the community
- information about the law and the criminal justice system, especially about what is likely to happen if their abuser is a family member
- their wishes to be respected, even if they want to do risky activities or spend time with someone who is taking advantage of them