COVID-19: Get updates on the law and legal services on Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Has your child been charged with a crime? (Fact sheet)

Step 1: Choose language Step 2: Choose from available formats and options
Available formats and options

What if I am asked to pay the costs of what my child did?

If your child is under the age of 18 when they damage, destroy, or steal what belongs to someone else, the owner may try to make you pay back the cost. You do not have to pay unless a court orders you to. If you get any papers telling you to pay, show them to a lawyer or legal clinic right away.

If the owner starts a court case against you, it will be in a civil court, not a criminal court. There are time limits to defend yourself or the court can order you to pay the money. So get legal help right away.

On these pages, we give only general information. You should get legal advice about your own situation.